Tuesday, March 17, 2009

telephone pictionary

So, it's a quiet week in York...almost all the students are off on outreach week. My flat is half empty and it's so amazing how quiet and pleasant it is! We miss our roommates and flatmates though...hopefully they're all off having fun, serving the Lord, and staying safe!

Anyway, the York outreach team got together a few nights ago and played a good game of telephone pictionary (I'll try to upload some pictures of the best/worst drawings at some point...) Basically it's like the game of telephone except instead of whispering a phrase in someone's ear everyone writes down a phrase and passes it one person to the right. They then draw a picture to illustrate the phrase and pass it along. The third person tries to guess the phrase, the fifth illustrates it, and you continue on rotating between drawing and writing. It is more entertaining than I can ever begin to explain...especially when you throw in a Hungarian man named Zsolti (Jo-lt-ee) with pretty entertaining broken english. It was quite possibly the funniest thing Ive ever seen....watching him try to come up with phrases (most of which were from american nursery rhymes, or just very american sayings, etc. that he has probably never heard) and to see him try to illustrate them was probably my favorite part. Oh how I will miss Zsolti!

Tuesday after working in the coffee shop all afternoon I joined the rest of the York Outreach group over at Randall and Gloria's house. The students had been helping them with some yard work all day, and after that we had an amazing dinner (some fantastic pizza they ordered, and Gloria's homemade sweet tea and chocolate chip cookies!) and finally got to watch a movie :) We settled on My Fair Lady. It was such a fun night and was nice to spend more time with Randall and Gloria. They are absolutely amazing!

Thursday we finally had a day to rest which was much needed after a long week of running around! We had a last minute drama practice and finished our night off by watching Wall E..my absolute favorite movie! If you haven't seen it yet I strongly advise that you do!


We've been working on some drama's which we performed this weekend in Town. Friday morning we performed in one of the squares at the center of town. It was a little out of my comfort zone, but it was fun nonetheless. They went out again this morning to a different square in town and performed them again but I ended up staying back to rest because I'd woken up in the middle of the night with quite a killer migraine headache and was still recovering from that! I'll try to get some pictures of the dramas at some point as well, I just have to figure out whose cameras they were using :)

Last night we got together and had an acoustic night at the coffee shop. It was a lot of fun. Mostly just students and staff showed up...we only had a few outside visitors but that was our fault as we really didn't do any advertising ahead of time! It was good fun though! My roommate played a few songs on the guitar (I even played along with my xylophone on one!) Randall, one of my teachers played some of his songs and a few worship songs as well as a few other students who got up there. It was a lot of fun, and just a nice relaxing night.




Overall I'd say Outreach Week was a success! The rest of the teams start coming home tomorrow I believe...can't wait to have them all home! I'm sure I'll be jealous of all their stories and pictures of all the places they've been and all the things they saw...but sometimes we just have to be the one's left behind!







No comments: