Monday, February 2, 2009

York Feb 2 2009


So..we have a rather crappy internet connection at the college. So far I’ve only been able to get on once since I’ve been here, and I’ve been told they turn the internet off at 10 pm…so, I’m going to continue to write and just post updates whenever I get lucky enough to get online…hopefully I’ll find a good café somewhere with free internet..but it might take me a while to do so.

It’s weird being in a place with so many people…literally we have a small common room with an old pink couch and matching chairs, a small dining room, and a small, but fairly decent kitchen. We all get one cupboard and there are about 5 girls per fridge. Needless to say, the space filled up fast! The next two floors of the flat are the bedrooms, 2 rooms per floor, 4 girls per room, and one bathroom per floor. So there are a grand total of 16 girls in my flat. Far too many if you ask me! Infact we are the fullest dorm at the moment I think. The guys next door have 11 in a flat the same size, and I think they may be expecting 1 more person this week at some point…but that is one less person per room which I’m sure makes a huge difference in storage space! There are also a few smaller flats with fewer girls…I’m not sure how they got so lucky. I would have rathered be in a small flat with 4 or 5 girls than this one…but oh well!

I think from what I heard there are about 40 students here this semester. So I’m sure I’ll get to know everyone eventually…I’ve yet to meet even half the girls in my flat though. And I’ve already forgotten nearly all their names…but I’m working on it. I think I’ve atleast got down the girls in my room.

I was absolutely overwhelmed today. We showed up and the girls (Alison and Clare) who came with from warrington helped me carry my bags in…the boys weren’t allowed in the flat at all so we couldn’t put them to work. And right away I had to try to unpack everything I brought. I got stuck with the bottom drawers and shelves…which is kind of lame since I’m definitely the tallest in my room, but I did end up with a larger drawer which gives me a little more space so I guess it’s not soo bad. The bunks are small, I just perfectly fit in it lengthwise, the mattresses are old and not too comfortable and the pillows are not much of a pillow at all. Sure makes you miss your own bed!!



After I somehow managed to shove all my stuff into my drawers I went to the grocery store with matt and his friends to pick up some food for the week. I took advantage of the fact that I actually had a ride and didn’t have to walk everything home and did a fairly big shopping. It’s hard though…everything is a different brand here, and things have different names, and many things we have at home they don’t have at all here. For example…I figured pasta would be something quick and easy for me to cook..so I grabbed some fettucini noodles and some chicken and went to go look for alfredo sauce…apparently that doesn’t exist here…so I settled on another white sauce and I’ll give it a try sometime this week. After shoping we went and had one last meal together before they dropped me off at the flat and went back to warrington. It was nice to have them there to help me get a little settled…but it was certainly hard for me to see them go…

After they left I went upstairs to try to begin organizing my stuff a little better (at this point it was all just sort of shoved in drawers to get it out of my suitcase…I hadn’t thought much about keeping things organized once they were out of my suitcase, luckily I’d brought one box with me…and when we went shopping for food I found a couple plastic baskets for a pound or so so that helped!) and met the 4th girl in my room who had just arrived…honestly that was probably the hardest bit of my trip. All I wanted to do was climb into bed and cry myself to sleep but not in a room full of strangers. I miss my own space already. It’s quite a shock after always living at home and having loads of space and privacy and comfort of familiar things. Being tossed in a room of not just one extra, but 3 extra people, and about as much space as I have in my own room at home was just a tad bit overwhelming! Thankfully I had finally got around to putting some credit on the pay as you go phone matt had given me so I was able to text him a bit and a few others to help settle my nerves.

As for my roommates, first we have Tracie. She seems nice, a bit reserved like me I think. She transferred over from the California campus and seems to have a great heart and a pretty swell relationship with the Lord. I’m not sure how much her and I really have in common…who knows, maybe we wil end up having loads to talk about.

Alexa seems nice, this is her 2nd semester at the college so she’s more familiar with things. She seems really outgoing and like a really sweet girl. Hopefully she’ll show us the ropes since she’s the only one in our room who has been here before!

And then there’s Rachel who I think I will probably get along with best. She seems to have at least closer taste in music as me…and seems like she likes to have a good time, but I saw her sneak up to her bunk to write so I think she also enjoys her personal time. She just seems like a girl who just wants to see everything and make the most of life. So she should be fun to be around.

Yikes though, I really hope this bible college ends up being something I enjoy. It sounds like it’s pretty intense and I just hope it doesn’t all overwhelm me too much. I guess intense is maybe good…as it will seriously force me to be closer to God and grow in ways I would never grow on my own. I just am really not so sure this is what’s right for me. Unfortunately it’s a little late for that…I’m stuck til the 17th of may….yes, I’m already counting. Haha. 15 weeks of consecutive school starting Monday…hope I’m ready for this! It certainly is going to force me to work on my patience, and learn to open up to people…I have a feeling I’m going to be forced to share a lot more of myself with these people than I’d really like to. But I suppose those are two great reasons why God may have wanted me here…I know he has something big planned or he wouldn’t have called me across the world.

Goodness…well, it’s getting late, and I didn’t sleep much at all last night so I should really get to sleep as I need to wake up for church in the morning. But have I mentioned how much I miss home?! I just want to get home to my parents, my dogs, my best friend, and a silly boy : )

No comments: